Now Reading
Kitchen nightmare! Pub gets a ZERO rating from health inspectors

Kitchen nightmare! Pub gets a ZERO rating from health inspectors

A pub failed a hygiene inspection and got a rating of zero after a slug was discovered in the freezer and bags of mouldy cheese were found to be more than a year out of date.

Ye Olde Starre Inne had a raft of other horrors waiting for food inspectors including bugs attached to a pack of raw chicken and mushrooms that were so old they’d turned to liquid.

An inspector visited the pub in Christchurch, Dorset, and discovered gag-inducing horrors in the kitchen.

After finding a slug stuck to a bag of uncooked chicken it was deemed unworthy of a rating at all.

The pub was marked as high risk of E.coli and Salmonella contamination when staff were seen handling raw chicken without washing their hands afterwards before handling food and serving drinks to punters.

Sinks used to wash plates had grown mould, dirty clothes were left in the basin and kitchen records hadn’t been updated for over a year.

Landlady Chloe Frost at Ye Olde Starre Inne said: ‘All of our records and management side is up to date now.’

‘All of our meat is fresh produce and vegetables are cooked and prepared on the day.

‘The out of date food that was found was never served to any customers. We used to use the kitchen for our personal cooking, but nothing out of date was served to customers.’

‘We don’t do food every day so it is difficult at times to do the records. The raw chicken was in the bin and not on the kitchen side or ever used.’

Sean Whitney, Christchurch and East Dorset Councils’ public health manager, said: ‘The inspection highlighted a number of significant food safety concerns and consequently the officer took immediate action to address these concerns and to protect public health.

The pub said its Sunday Carvery came with ‘all the trimmings’ on an advertisement board seen outside.

See Also

Sinks used to wash plates had grown mould, dirty clothes were left in the basin and kitchen records hadn’t been updated for over a year

‘The officer ensured all immediate risks were removed from the premises. All out-of-date food was disposed of and destroyed and advice on effective cleaning was given to staff.

‘The officer also provided guidance on best practice to avoid cross-contamination, which was fully explained and subsequently implemented by the staff.

‘The premises were not formally closed at any time, however, visits have been regularly carried out to ensure Ye Olde Starre Inn fully comply with good food hygiene standards.

‘I recommend that anyone intending to eat out checks the available food hygiene rating information before deciding where to eat. This information is published on the Food Standards Agency website or on a number of commercial apps.’

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

© 2019 CHEFBIBLE®. All Rights Reserved. | Produced by Breakline